AMR Insights was set up in 2017 following an in-depth feasibility study towards a new information platform on AMR. The study was carried out by 12 Dutch public and private organizations including CeSAM (UMCG / RUG), TNO, Deltares, STOWA, Ducares, DSM Sinochem, Innovative Medicines Association, SWAB and NVWA. The study clearly demonstrated the demand for such Information platform. In 2017 AMR Insights started its activities.
AMR Insights initiated by Maarten van Dongen
Maarten van Dongen is a Molecular / Medical Microbiologist by origin. After his PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Amsterdam, he has worked for the international pharma and biopharma industry. Later he advised Netherlands and international public and private organizations in the field of Life Sciences and innovation.
As a consultant he has led large-scale projects in the field of AMR:
- Occurrence of resistant bacteria on imported, farmed fish
- Mathematical modelling of resistance development in bacteria
- Development of the Netherlands Antibiotics Development Platform
“Since my study Microbiology I have felt the drive to use my knowledge and skills to make the world slightly better.”
AMR Insights based in Amsterdam
AMR Insights is based in the city center of Amsterdam in The Netherlands. With offices along the famous ‘Keizersgracht’ (‘Emperor’s Canal’) AMR Insights is located in the beating heart of one of the most beautiful and internationally oriented cities in the world.
AMR Insights a network organisation
AMR Insights is a network-based organization interacting with professionals around the globe: in Human and Veterinary Health, Agrifood and Environment. Professionals in private companies, academia, authorities and NGO’s.
Informing, educating and connecting
AMR Insights informs, educates and connects relevant professionals around the globe with the aim to curb Antimicrobial resistance:
- Informing: Information platform & E-newsletter
- Educating: Masterclass AMR & Seminars on AMR
- Connecting: International Matchmaking Symposia & Innovation Missions
Focal areas target different professionals
AMR Insights is aware that professionals in different sectors need different information on AMR. To this end AMR Insights distinguishes 6 Focal Areas:
- Healthy Patients
- Effective Surveillance
- Healthy Animals
- Secure Food
- Clean Environment
- Smart Innovation
AMR Insights is a member of / participating in:
- British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (UK)
- CDC AMR Challenge (US)
- I am a Resistance Fighter Campaign (US)
- International Research Alliance for Antibiotic Discovery and Development Network (Germany/Europe)
- AMR-Global (The Netherlands)
- PUM: Action Against AMR (The Netherlands)
- SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) Netherlands