Global Rise in AMR Threatens Infection Armageddon
In January 2022, The Lancet published the most comprehensive local survey on the impact of AMR on
human health, concluding that AMR is associated with the deaths of five million people worldwide each year (1). This stark figure represents the third most common causes of death after heart disease and stroke. AMR is a global phenomenon, leaving no country untouched by its impact. The review highlights five key areas where action is desperately needed:
1. Prevention of infection strategies
2. Deployment of vaccination
3. Reduction in the use of antibiotics in agriculture and livestock
4. Appropriate stewardship of existing antibiotics
5. Investment in the development of novel antimicrobial drugs
It has been estimated that by 2050 the AMR global death toll will rise to 10 million per year and come with a $100,000,000,000,000 global economic price tag.
Join the AMR Insights Ambassador Network today!
Connect to over 550 AMR professionals and students in 60 countries!