“AVMA Takes Steps to Address a Critical Health Issue”
“The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has taken significant steps to help the veterinary profession prevent antimicrobial resistance in both animals and people.
The AVMA House of Delegates approved the profession’s first-ever Definition of Antimicrobial Stewardship and Core Principles of Antimicrobial Stewardship in Veterinary Medicine. Their adoption is an important first step in fulfillment of the association’s commitment to provide resources and tools for veterinarians that support conscientious decision-making in the use of antimicrobials.
The core principles adopted by the AVMA on behalf of its members include:
- A clearly stated commitment by veterinarians to stewardship;
- Support for systems of care that include a multi-pronged approach to preventing common diseases;
- Judicious selection and use of antimicrobial drugs;
- Ongoing evaluation of the efficacy of antimicrobial drug-use practices;
- A commitment to professional education research that expands the profession’s knowledge base and supports good decision-making.”
Know more on AMR? See ‘AMR in one day’ on 25 January, 2018